The City Manager's Office administers programs and policies of the City Commission. The manager and staff provide professional assistance to the commission including information and recommendations.
Major responsibilities are to:
- Review and oversee departmental operations and all personnel functions.
- Recommend annual budget.
- Administer the adopted budget and capital improvement programs.
- Act as liaison with citizens, businesses, community organizations and government agencies.
- Coordinate intergovernmental relations including assisting with public agendas.
- Monitor state and federal legislation.
- Prepare City Commission meeting agenda, including supporting materials.
- Coordinate compliance with national and state laws.
- Conduct and coordinate policy research.
- Respond to requests for information and assist citizens with requests for service.
- Communicate with key constituents: citizens, employees and the media.
Other City Manager responsibilities include managing the Lawrence Municipal Airport, preparing the Budget-In-Brief and City newsletters, and providing staff support for the Aviation Advisory Board, Sister Cities Advisory Board, Convention and Visitors Advisory Board, Economic Development Advisory Council, Public Transit Advisory Committee, and Downtown Parking Advisory Board.