Helping existing businesses to grow within our local community is a primary objective of economic development efforts. That effort requires advance planning that takes into consideration the lifestyle and needs of the community while sustaining an environment that encourages the business investment that fuels our tax base and funds many of the services citizens now enjoy.
- Lawrence VenturePark
- EDC of Lawrence and Douglas County
- Lawrence Chamber of Commerce
- State Economic Development Incentives
- Lawrence Municipal Airport
- Helpful Information for Businesses
Incentives, Policies, and Procedures
Overarching Economic Development Policy
The City of Lawrence adopted an overarching economic development policy at its March 24, 2009 City Commission meeting. This policy governs all cashlike incentives, including tax abatements in the City of Lawrence, and supersedes the existing tax abatement ordinance.
- Overarching Economic Development Policy (323 KB, PDF)
This document contains the general economic development incentive procedures, as well as policy guidelines for Industrial Revenue Bonds and Constitutional Tax Abatements.
- Property Tax Abatement Information
- Summary of Major Economic Development Support Programs (PDF)
Additional Economic Development Policies
- Community Improvement Districts - Res. No. 6953 (PDF 37 KB)
- Neighborhood Revitalization Act – Res. No. 6954 (PDF, 174 KB)
- Tax Increment Financing Districts - Res. No. 6789 (PDF, 212 KB)
- Transportation Development Districts - Res. No. 6952 (PDF, 140 KB)
Annual Reports: Economic Development Support
- 2013 Annual Report: Economic Development Support & Compliance (PDF)
- 2012 Annual Report: Economic Development Support & Compliance (PDF)
- 2011 Report: Tax Abatements and Economic Development Incentives (PDF)
- 2010 Tax Abatement Report (PDF)
- 2009 Tax Abatement Report (PDF)
- 2008 Tax Abatement Report (PDF)
Economic Development Progress Reports
Residential Lot Inventory
- 2014 Residential Lot Inventory
- 2013 Residential Lot Inventory (PDF)
- 2012 Residential Lot Inventory (PDF)
- Data incorporated in the 2012 report was recently refined to include additional criteria and data parameters , allowing for more accurate inventory data. Data from this report should not be compared with inventory data from previous reports, which were defined using different parameters.
- 2015 Wage Floor (PDF)
Retail Analysis (PDF)
Demographics and Economic Data
- Local Economic Profile (PDF, 1.5 MB)
For questions regarding City Policy, Procedures, or Incentives, please contact:
Britt Crum-Cano, Economic Development Coordinator
email@example.com or (785)-832-3472
If you are interested in relocating or expanding your business, please contact the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce.