Residential Trash Collection
Printer Friendly Solid Waste Services Guide (PDF)
The City of Lawrence begins residential collection service at 7 a.m. Please have all trash out by this time on your day of service.
No service occurs on the following holidays
- New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Memorial Day, and Christmas Day.
- NOTE THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY CHANGES: There will be no residential trash collection on Thursday, November 28th or Friday, November 29th. Thursday residential customers living north of 23rd Street/Clinton Parkway will have their trash picked up on Tuesday, November 26th and those living south of 23rd Street/Clinton Parkway will have their trash picked up on Wednesday, November 27th.
Schedule changes will be advertised in the Lawrence Journal World.
Important Service Information
- Residential Trash Collection Guidelines (PDF)
- NEW online form: To request residential special item pickup service for bulky items, carpet, tires, and construction, remodeling, or building materials, please fill out this online form.
- Sharps Disposal - Household sharps such as needles should be packaged in a puncture proof container (detergent bottle, coffee can, etc.) with a secure taped lid for trash pick-up. Please label the container “Sharps”. For additional information on disposal of needles and other sharps click here. (PDF)
- Help us help you keep your neighborhood looking nice! Sawdust, cat litter, sweeping compounds, shredded paper, facial tissues, packaging materials, etc., all blow in the breeze when containers are emptied by the collectors. Please bag these items before putting them out for collection.
- Please ensure that fireplace ashes are thoroughly cooled before bagging them for collection. It will take several days for a container of hot ashes to cool naturally.
- Improper disposal of hazardous materials can cause pollution and endanger the health and safety of our Solid Waste employees. Call (785) 832-3030 for proper disposal of and alternatives to toxic products. Click here for more information on household hazardous waste.
Other Collection Services