Organized Collection Service Plan for Residential Recycling
The City of Lawrence is considering establishing a city-wide curbside recycling program.
State requirements for organized collection service establishment
On July 1, 2011, a House Bill concerning municipalities and establishing organized collection services was enacted by the Legislature of the State of Kansas. The procedure and delayed implementation period for establishing an organized solid waste or recycling collection service are explained in the attached State Statutes 12-2035 and 12-2036.
Implementing a city-wide residential curbside recycling program for the City of Lawrence is considered establishing an organized recycling collection service. A table and flow chart summarizing the action steps required by the State law are attached.
Resolution of Intent
On June 12, 2012, the Mayor and City Commission adopted Resolution No. 6976 announcing the City's intent to consider adoption of an organized collection service for residential recycling within the City limits of Lawrence, Kansas.
Plan for the proposed organized recycling collection service
From June 13, 2012 through September 10, 2012 (the 90-day period after the adoption of the resolution of intent), the City of Lawrence will develop a plan for establishing an organized collection service for residential recycling in Lawrence.
As stated in the Organized Collection Service Act, K.S.A. 12-2036, the plan will:
• describe in detail the procedures used for development of the plan for organized collection service and compliance with all required notice provisions;
• evaluate the proposed organized collection plan in regard to the following: achieving the stated goals; minimizing displacement and economic impact to current solid waste collectors; ensuring participation in the decision-making process of all interested parties, including all licensees or other persons operating solid waste or recyclables collection services in the municipality as of the date of the resolution of intent to organize collection in the municipality; and maximizing efficiency in solid waste collection; and
• provide detailed justification for any tax, franchise or similar fee.
Interested persons may attend the plan development meetings for the establishment of the proposed organized recycling collection service. These meetings will be held in the City Commission room at City Hall located at 6 East 6th Street on the following dates:
• Wednesday, July 11th, 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Agenda Meeting Notes (PDF, 186 KB)
• Thursday, July 26th, 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Agenda Meeting Notes (PDF, 165 KB)
• Friday, August 24th, 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Agenda Meeting Notes (PDF, 167 KB)
The public hearing for the proposed plan will be held at the City Commission meeting on Tuesday, December 11, 2012. Once the public hearing is completed and the plan is approved, the next step will be for the City Commission to consider adopting an ordinance that establishes city-wide residential recycling in Lawrence, as required by K.S.A. 12-2036. If the ordinance is not adopted by June 12, 2013, one year from the passage of the resolution of intent, the process of establishing an organized recycling collection service shall be started over.
If you would like to participate in the planning and establishing of the proposed organized recycling collection service, please email your written request and contact information to Kathy Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org.