Rental FAQ's

How do I contact the Rental Inspector?

Call the Code Enforcement Department at (785) 832-7700 or email Brian Jimenez, Code Enforcement Manager or Treni Westcott, Code Enforcement Officer.

Why is a rental license required?

The City of Lawrence's Ordinance 7326 requires that any rental residential dwelling unit property have a current rental license in order to maintain consistent health and safety standards for all rental properties in Lawrence.

How do I get a rental license?

Contact the Code Enforcement Division to have an application e-mailed or mailed to you or you can pick up an application at 1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 110. Click here to access the applicant form to print. Complete the application, attach the rental license fee of $25.00 per address and mail or drop off the application and fee. Rental license fees are due upon submittal of the rental license application or receipt of the rental license renewal statement.

Can I rent my property until I get the rental license?

Yes, however staff encourages landlords to contact the Code Enforcement Division as soon as possible to schedule the initial inspection. Failure to promptly register property can result in complaint being forwarded to Municipal Court for violation of the ordinance.

Are rental licenses transferable?

Yes. There is no charge for the transfer. The new property owner needs to complete an application form and send it to the Development Services Division, 1 Riverfront Plaza, Suite 110.

How long is the rental license period?

The license is valid for one year from the time of issuance and will be renewed during the same month of each year. For renewal date information, see section 6-1308(b) of the rental licensing ordinance.

What happens if I do not get a rental license?

Staff's main objective is to obtain compliance from the property owner. If a property owner fails to comply with the requirements of the ordinance, there are provisions in the code to allow for prosecution of the violation.

How much is the rental fee?

An annual regulatory fee of $25.00 per dwelling is paid in full at time of application.

Am I required to have an agent?

If the owner does not reside within forty miles of the City of Lawrence, then he or she must appoint a person or management company, located within forty miles of the City of Lawrence, to serve as his or her resident agent.

Can my tenant be the agent?

Yes, a tenant can be the agent. However, the agent is a point of contact for our staff therefore it is important to remember if a tenant changes then proper notification of your new agent should be given by mail, phone or email to our staff.

How do I arrange for an inspection?

Scheduling an inspection can be done several ways. The inspector may schedule the inspection and inform the property owner by mail. If that date and time does not work for the property owner then simply call the inspector to reschedule. If you are new to the program and have not had your initial inspection, you can call the inspector to schedule by phone (785) 832-3107, email or in person when application is submitted.

What is the inspector looking for?

The inspector verifies the dwelling unit complies with the minimum code standards outlined in the City's International Property Maintenance Code, 2012 Edition. Staff also verifies the exterior property conditions comply with the City's Environmental Code and other applicable city code.

How do I know my property has passed an inspection?

A copy of the inspection report will be provided at time of inspection to the owner or agent and any violations and/or repairs needed will be identified at that time.

What if I can't get an inspection completed in time?

If you are unable to have the home inspection by date on your rental license new/renewal form, please call the Development Services Department at (785) 832-7700 to request a time extension.

Are re-inspections required?

Re-inspections are required only if there are items to be repaired.

Is there a charge for the re-inspection?

There is no charge a re-inspection. However, if the items are not repaired in a timely manner, a complaint may be forwarded the City’s Municipal Court for prosecution.

Whom do I talk to when I have a question on a repair item?

The inspector who did the inspection will be knowledgeable about the item and most qualified to answer your questions.

Must I get a rental license if I rent a room in my home?

No, in situations where the dwelling is occupied by the owner of deed who rents rooms or if the dwelling is occupied only by family members. However, if the home is occupied by family plus non-family roommates the ordinance does apply.