- Planning and Development
- Development Services
- Agendas and Minutes
- Building Safety Division
- Building Inspections
- Building Permits
- Contractor & Trade Licensing
- Building Permit Reports
- Code Enforcement Division
- Community Development Division
- Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)/ HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME)
- Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG)
- Environmental Health Hazards
- Housing Assistance Programs
- Investment Projects
- Neighborhood Information
- Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP)
- Reports and Plans
- Development Regulations
- Small Business
Contractor & Tradesperson Licensing Requirements
Search our database of contractors currently licensed by the City of Lawrence to provide building construction services.
The City of Lawrence, Kansas requires certain building and trade contractors (or contracting businesses) to obtain a license to perform work within the City limits, and to apply for and obtain required building and trade-related construction, remodeling and/or repair permits. In addition to contractor licensing, the City of Lawrence also requires that certain employees performing work for a licensed trade contractor (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and/or Fireplace) be certified as master level or journeyman level tradesperson.
The purpose of contractor and tradesperson licensing is to ensure that construction activities are performed by fully qualified and licensed contractors and tradespersons to meet the City’s adopted code standards. Contractor licensing also ensures contractors are appropriately insured and provide workers' compensation for their employees. Should you have any comments or inquiries about contractor or tradesperson licensing, please contact our office at (785) 832-7700.
Guide for Building/Trade Contractors & Tradespersons (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing & Fireplace)
This Guide provides an overview of experience, education, testing/certification and insurance requirements to obtain a contractor or tradesperson license in Lawrence.
Download entire guide » (PDF)
View individual handbook sections (all files PDF):
- Overview of Contractor & Tradesperson Licensing Requirements
- Contractor Licensing Requirements & Definitions (for building & trade contracting businesses)
- Contractor Licensing Requirements Table
- Tradesperson Licensing Requirements & Definitions
- Tradesperson Licensing Requirements Table
- Approved Contractor & Tradesperson License Exams
- Contractor Licensing Application
- Tradesperson Licensing/Exam Sponsorship Application
- Jobsite Licensing Guidelines
The Qualifying Party for a contractor license must obtain at least eight (8) hours of related continuing education annually, which meet the City’s criteria for approval; licensed tradespersons must obtain at least six (6) hours of continuing trade education annually, which meet the City’s criteria for approval.
Sign Contractor/Sign Hanger Licensing Requirements
The City of Lawrence, Kansas requires all persons engaged in the business of sign hanging and the erection of signs to obtain a license and comply with the provisions of Chapter V, Article 18 of the Code of the City of Lawrence.
Contractor Licensing Board
The function of the Contractor Licensing Board is to hear complaints regarding violations of the contractor licensing regulations. The board may take appropriate disciplinary actions