- Final Plat/Master Plan
- Chronology of Documents and Meetings Index
- KDHE Site Background
- EPA Repowering America's Land Fact Sheet (PDF)
- enlargement area map(PDF)
- signalized intersection at O'Connell Road,
- a new east-west road connecting the intersection back with the East Hills Business Park to allow business park users access to a signalized intersection,
- sustainable approaches to stormwater runoff,
- stormwater runoff ponds,
- bike lanes and trails
- relocation of the current Westar substation,
- a regional detention pond on the site,
- a future connection with 19th Street at such time that 19th Street is improved,
- approximately 260 new acres for industrial/business park development opportunities, and a flexible lot layout.
In the fall of 2010, the City of Lawrence officially became the owner of the former Farmland Industries nitrogen fertilizer production plant on K-10 Highway just east of the City of Lawrence. In 2011, the contractors for the city demolished over 35 structures and removed over 1,600 tons of scrap metal for recycling from the property.
The City Commission authorized the acquisition of the Farmland property to add additional space for industrial and business park expansion in Lawrence. Growing our local economy to provide additional employment opportunities and increased community tax base are among the top community goals.
What is the status of the project now?
The city has completed the Master Planning process and are actively working to develop needed infrastructure at the site. A traffic signal and additional geometric improvements are currently under construction at 23rd and O'Connell Road to improve access to the site.
Additionally, the consultants are examining various alternatives for generation of energy on site, including solar, biogas and algae to biofuels. The city recently was awarded an EPA grant and is working with the National Renewable Energy Laboratory on energy alternatives, as well.
Please direct comments or questions to Stormwater Engineer Matt Bond at (785) 832-3123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.