Are YOU disaster ready?
The Moore, OK tornado is a reminder to prepare NOW for a severe weather emergency.
- How do you receive severe weather notification?
- Do you know where to take shelter?
- Do you have an emergency kit?
For help with answers to these questions, contact Douglas County Emergency Management
From the Chief
We are extremely proud to announce that we were unanimously awarded Reaccredited Agency Status by the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI) at the Center for Public Safety Excellence hearing in Henderson, Nevada on March 5, 2013. The department is one of only 167 agencies worldwide to obtain CFAI Accredited Status. Led by Division Chief Bill Stark, the entire department has played a vital role in achieving this prestigious award and demonstrates the City’s commitment to provide progressive, high quality emergency services to our community.
Citizens often ask how the CFAI Accreditation process benefits the community and the Fire/Medical services. The CFAI process requires us to:
- Demonstrate effort working as a team, and training/educating all members of our workforce.
- Engage citizens in helping to assess whether or not the organization is meeting the goals that are commensurate with its responsibilities.
- Develop, implement and analyze performance measures to demonstrate the effectiveness of our response services.
- Utilize a continuous self-assessment process resulting in quality improvement opportunities.
- Annually produce a detailed evaluation report consisting of the organizational strategic plan, service action plans, and identifying our service strengths and weaknesses and the systems to address deficiencies.
These five activities represent a portion of the year round accreditation process involving community leaders, citizens, and department members. The process and the reports document and assure Lawrence citizens of our commitment and effort to every day provide the highest quality of Fire and Medical services we can. Please take a moment to review the updated strategic plan that includes citizen and internal input into the direction of the department over the next 5 years. You will find the strategic plan at 2012-2017 Strategic Plan