- City Sustainability Initiatives
Common Ground Program
The Common Ground Program is a community gardening and urban agriculture program created by the City of Lawrence in 2012. The Common Ground Program’s goal is to transform vacant or under-utilized city properties into vibrant sites of healthy food production for our citizens.
In addition to increasing the availability of fresh, healthy produce in our city’s neighborhoods, these gardens have impacts far beyond their boundaries. In exchange for receiving a free license for use of city property, each grower/applicant creates a Community Benefit Plan for their project.
These have resulted in over 3,300 lbs of produce donated to local food pantries, field trips for student groups, and community gardening class topics from compost to tree pruning.
Common Ground Sites:
View Common Ground Program Sites in a larger map
- Garden Incubator at John Taylor Park (7th & Walnut): Community garden with plots for adults and children to rent. Project Coordinator: Aimee Polson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- PermaCommons (1304 Pennsylvania St.): Cooperatively-managed permaculture demonstration garden. Volunteers can participate and share produce. Project Coordinator: TBD.
- Penn St. Community Garden (1313 Pennsylvania St.): Community garden. Offers 10x10 and 10x20 garden plots for rent. Project Coordinator:TBD
- Pearl Clark Community Garden (639 Illinois St.): Community garden with plots for rent. Project Coordinator: Michael Morley (email@example.com)
- The Lawrence Community Orchard (830 Garfield St.): Cooperatively-managed orchard for free picking. Volunteers needed. Project Coordinator: Skyler Adamson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Incubator Farm at 24/40 An incubator farm where four small vegetable farm businesses are getting off the ground.
- Willow Domestic Violence Center garden (1920 Moodie) This garden is managed by Willow DV staff and produce is donated to program participants.
Interested in participating in an existing community garden? Please contact the garden coordinators listed above.
NEW! 2015 Common Ground Application Materials and Procedures:
- Request for Applications (PDF)
- Common Ground Program Rules and Procedures (PDF)
- Sample Land License Agreement (PDF)
Contact Eileen Horn, Sustainability Coordinator