The City Clerk's Office, a division of the City Manager's Office, manages city records, issues certain licenses and permits, and a variety of additional services to the public and other city departments.
The services provided by the City Clerk's Office include:
- Management of city records, including records of the official actions of the Lawrence City Commission such as meeting agendas and minutes, and ordinances and resolutions; the City Clerk is the official Freedom of Information Officer for the City and coordinates responses to open records requests;
- Issuance of certain permits and business licenses; building permits and contractor/trade licenses are administered by the Development Services Division of the Planning and Development Services Department;
- Handling of documents related to special assessments on properties within the city;
- Acceptance of candidate filings for Lawrence City Commission elections, held biennially on odd-numbered years (the elections are administered by the Douglas County Clerk);
- Conducting bid openings for the city on at 2 p.m. each Tuesday in the City Commission Meeting Room; bids are to be turned in to the City Clerk’s Office (not to the City Commission Meeting Room) by 2 p.m. on their due date; for information regarding specific bids, please contact the city Purchasing Agent at (785) 832-3215.
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
AddressCity Clerk's Office, 3rd Floor of City Hall
6 East 6th Street
Lawrence, KS 66044