Reading time: 3 – 5 minutes
Have you changed 5? With only 9 days left in the Take Charge Challenge, Lawrence is lagging behind Manhattan and we have just a few days left to change the outcome to beat Manhattan (and KSU!) and bring home bragging rights to Lawrence that we won the 2011 University challenge!
What is Change5? It’s about saving money! Did you know that if you change the 5 most used bulbs in your house that you’ll save $75 a year? That’s $75 you save on bills and $75 you can spend on other things. Why not Change 5?
How can YOU help? We’re asking everyone in Lawrence to log on to the Take Charge Kansas website and register ANY bulb switches (from incandescent to CFL) that you’ve made in 2011. If you’ve already registered your bulbs, then tell a friend! If everyone in Lawrence registers 5 bulbs, then Lawrence can win and bring home the $100,000 grand prize for LOCAL Lawrence projects.
Why should YOU care? The projects selected would not happen in our local community without the funding from the Take Charge Challenge. What will Lawrence do if (when) we win:
- Fire Station #5 – Take Charge Challenge funds would be used to install solar photovoltaic panels at Fire Station #5 at 19th and Stewart Ave. The project would cost approximately $66,000. Fire Station #5 is the largest user of energy amongst the five Lawrence stations. The panels would reduce energy usage by 16,500 kWh or 2% annually.
- Prairie Park Nature Center – Take Charge Challenge funds would be used to install solar thermal panels at Prairie Park Nature Center in southeast Lawrence. The panels would cost approximately $8,000 and would reduce energy uses by 2,500 kWh annually.
- East Lawrence Recreation Center – Take Charge Challenge funds would be used to install large fans at East Lawrence Recreation Center. The fans would reduce HVAC energy costs by 15% annually and save approximately $1,400 per year.
- Energy Audits for city buildings – The remaining funds will be used to help improve efficiency in city buildings – fewer dollars for energy costs means more dollars available for services and programs.
What NOW? Log on to the Take Charge Kansas website and register your bulbs immediately. Or, send this email to all of your friends and contacts in Lawrence and encourage them to do the same. But, don’t wait — time is running out and we only have 9 days left!
Don’t have any more bulbs to change? Tell a friend or neighbor! We need EVERYONE to get involved – KU students, landlords, homeowners, neighborhood organizations – anyone who wants Lawrence to win and be able to complete these great projects for our community.
Thanks for helping out. Please forward this email to EVERYONE in Lawrence that you know and ask them to support the Take Charge Challenge by changing 5 bulbs and REGISTERING the switches on the Take Charge Kansas website by September 30, 2011!
Go Lawrence, Beat Manhattan!
- To register your bulbs, visit this website: http://www.takechargekansas.org/Site_Data/Sub_Pages/City.php?City=8
- On the right side near the middle of the page under Take Action is reads “Enter Your Email Address To Start or To Modify Your Switches.”
- Enter your email address, press the Login button, and that will get you started.