Reading time: 4 – 6 minutes
Note: This is only an unofficial recap of the meeting and not the official minutes.
During the December 4 City Commission meeting, the Commission acted on the following Consent Agenda items:
1. Approved City Commission meeting minutes from 11/20/12 and amended City Commission meeting minutes from 11/13/12.
2. Received minutes from the following boards and commissions:
- Community Development Advisory Committee meeting of 10/11/12
- Historic Resources Commission meeting of 10/18/12
- Homeless Issues Advisory Committee meeting of 10/09/12
- Mental Health Board meeting of 10/30/12
- Traffic Safety Commission meeting of 11/05/12
3. Approved claims to 194 vendors in the amount of $2,234,934.55 and payroll from 11/18/12-12/01/12 in the amount of $1,968,577.39.
4. Bid and purchase items:
a) Approved purchase of computer hardware and software for the Lawrence Police Department from Eaglesoft for $31,861.20 (hardware) and $4,800 (software).
b) Approved emergency procurement of the replacement of the biosolids conveyor system for a total estimated cost of $270,000.
5. Adopted the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8825, authorizing the codification of ordinances of the City of Lawrence, January 1, 2013 edition.
b) Ordinance No. 8823, to annex (A-12-00190) approximately 90 acres located east of Kansas Highway 10 (K-10) and north of W 6th Street adjacent to the Baldwin Creek City Park, generally bounded by E 902 Rd on the west and George Williams Way extended on the east. (PC Item 2A; approved 8-0-1 on 11/12/12)
6. Received update on the status of Special Use Permit, SUP-12-7-11, for the Lawrence Community Shelter, located at 214 W 10th St/944 Kentucky Street.
7. Concurred with the Traffic Safety Commission recommendations for the following:
a) Install a pedestrian hybrid beacon on Connecticut Street at 10th Street for Project No. PW1308 when funding allows, and authorize the submission of a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) application for funding of this project. (TSC item #2; approved 6-0 on 11/5/12)
b) Establish a mid-block crosswalk on Kasold Drive between 27th Street & 28th Street and to the list of future projects a pedestrian hybrid beacon. (TSC item #3; approved 5-1 on 11/5/12)
c) Deny the request for a stop sign on St. Andrews Drive at Tam O’Shanter Drive. (TSC item #4; approved 6-0 on 11/5/12)
8. Authorized the City Manager to sign a Long Term Care Agreement and pay a one-time lump sum of $50,345.07 to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment for associated oversight and inspections related to the former Farmland Industries Nitrogen Plant site.
9. Authorized staff to negotiate an engineering services agreement with Burns & McDonnell for Project UT1209 – Taste and Odor, and Algal Toxin Water Treatment Process Evaluation. Any request to authorize the execution of a successfully negotiated contract would be withheld until the City Commission’s approval of the required funding for the project.
10. Approved the City Park located at 19th and Haskell Streets to be named “Chief Jim McSwain Park,” with the byline “Dedicated in honor of all firefighters.”
11. DEFERRED AT APPLICANT’S REQUEST. Receive request from Outside for a Better Inside for City maintenance agreement for proposed walking trail as part of Bert Nash project; refer to staff for report and preparation of agreement.
12. Authorized the City Manager to sign a lease agreement with 720, L.L.C. for the lease of 720 E 9th Street #2, for a total payment of $30,375, for use as a storage facility for the Lawrence Public Library during construction at the current library site.
13. Authorized the Mayor to sign a Subordination Agreement for James and Patrice Krause, 1409 New Jersey Street.
14. Authorized the Mayor to sign Releases of Mortgage for Jan See, 921 Lawrence Avenue, and Robert Rose, 1415 Delaware.
15. Approved appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
- Appointed Gary Knudson to a vacant Aviation Advisory Board position that expires 05/31/15.
- Appointed Linda Bush to a vacant Community Development Advisory Committee position that expires 09/30/15.
- Appointed Mike Brouwer to a Homeless Issues Advisory Committee position that expires 12/31/13.
- Appointed Nicole Rials to a Lawrence Citizen Advisory Board position that expires 03/01/15.
- Reappointed Chris Rogge to the Lawrence Douglas County Bicycle Advisory Committee for an additional term that expires 12/31/15.
- Reappointed Joe Caldwell and Andy Clayton to additional Parks & Recreation Advisory Board positions that expire 12/31/16 and appointed LaRisa Lochner to a term that will expire 12/31/16.
- Reappointed James Pavisian, Marion Hukle, and Mark Hurt to additional Public Transit Advisory Committee terms that expire 12/31/15.
- Reappointed Ione Unruh to the Sister Cities Advisory Committee for an additional term that expires 12/31/15.
During the Regular Agenda, the Commission:
1. Considered staff recommendations regarding the 9th Street, Tennessee Street to Kentucky Street improvements. Approved option 3 contingent on the adjacent property owner donating the necessary property interests to the city.
2. Directed staff to make certain changes to the 2013 Legislative Priority Statement and bring it back for future city commission consideration.
Approved the 2013 City Commission meeting calendar.
To view this week’s City Manager’s Report, please click on the following link: