April 10, 2007 - 6:35 p.m.
(Posted on webpage at 5:00 p.m. on 04/05/07)
(10MB files take approximately 45 seconds to open)
The following updates were made on 04/06/07 @ 2:30 p.m.:Added City Commission Meeting minutes from 04/03/07 to Consent Agenda Item No. 1
B. CONSENT AGENDA:
2. Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority Board meeting of 02/26/07
Building Code Board of Appeals meeting of 03/01/07
Mechanical Code Board of Appeals meeting of 03/12/07
Board of Electrical Appeals meeting of 03/07/07
3. Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
4. Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
5. Bid and purchase items:
a) Set bid date of May 1, 2007 for Project No. 08-SR3-307(C), 2007 Microsurfacing Program.
b) Set bid date of May 1, 2007 for the 14th and Tennessee Sanitary Sewer Replacement Project. Staff Memo
c) Award bid for 2500 tons of road salt to Central Salt for $88,725, with an optional 1,000 tons for $35,490. Bid Memo
d) Award bid for one (1) roll-off refuse truck for the Public Works Department to KCR International for $129,992. Bid Memo
6. Adopt the following ordinance(s) on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8094, designating as a landmark (L-10-02-2006) on the Lawrence Register of Historic Places. The structure is located at 925 Vermont Street. (CC approved 5-0 on 3/27/07)
b) Ordinance No. 8095, designating as a landmark (L-11-03-2006) on the Lawrence Register of Historic Places. The structure is located at 621 Connecticut Street. (CC approved 5-0 on 3/27/07)
c) Ordinance No. 8096, designating as a landmark (L-12-04-2006) on the Lawrence Register of Historic Places. The structure is located at 1646 Massachusetts Street. (CC approved 5-0 on 3/27/07)
d) Ordinance No. 8085, authorizing the initiation of eminent domain proceedings to acquire needed utility easements for Pump Station 48.
7. Adopt the following resolution(s):
b) Resolution No. 6714 authorizing the Mayor to sign Agreement 38-07 with the Secretary of Transportation for reimbursement of costs for the 2008 KLINK project, 23rd Street from Iowa to Louisiana. Staff Memo & Attachments
8. Authorize the City Manager to enter into contracts with the Incentive Recipients of the 2007 Downtown Sprinkler Program. Staff Memo & Attachments
9. Approve as signs of community interest, a request from the Lawrence Region Antique Automobile Club of America to place directional and notification signs in various rights-of-way during The Lawrence Swap Meet from May 4 – May 6, 2007. Request
10. Approve as signs of community interest, a request from Friends of the Library to place signs in various rights-of-way during the annual book sale from April 13 – April 21, 2007. Request
11. Approve variance request (City Code Section 19-214B) allowing a private sanitary sewer service line connection, in Cypress Park Addition Replat, to cross public right-of-way and cross over a drainage easement. Staff Memo & Attachments
12. Authorize the City Manager to enter into a License Agreement with Lawrence Freenet to install communications equipment on designated traffic control signals along Clinton Parkway. Staff Memo & Attachments
13. Approve, subject to conditions, SE-04-07-07, a Special Event request for a downtown film festival located in the 900 Block of New Hampshire Street, more specifically the southwest corner of 9th Street and New Hampshire Street. Submitted by Rick Marquez Downtown Lawrence, Inc. 9-10, LC and the City of property owners of record. Staff Report Request
14. Authorize the Mayor to sign the EPA Green Power Partnership Agreement and launch a Green Power Community Campaign in conjunction with Earth Day. Staff Memo & Attachments
D. REGULAR AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Receive comments from Mayor Mike Amyx and City Commission.
2. The City Clerk will conduct swearing in of elected City Commissioners. The new City Commission will be seated.
3. Conduct election of new mayor.
Mayor Amyx will receive nominations for mayor. Nominations for mayor will be closed. City Commissioners will vote for the position of mayor.
4. Conduct election of vice-mayor.
The new mayor will receive nominations for vice-mayor. Nominations for vice-mayor will be closed. City Commissioners will vote for the position of vice-mayor.
5. Comments of Mayor and City Commissioners.
Recess For Approximately 20 Minutes
6. Consider a motion to recess into executive session for 30 minutes to discuss matters deemed privileged under the attorney-client relationship. The justification for the executive session is to keep attorney-client matters confidential. The regular meeting of the Commission will resume in the City Commission meeting room.
ACTION: Approve motion, if appropriate.
E. PUBLIC COMMENT:
F. FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: Staff Memo
G. COMMISSION ITEMS:
H. CALENDAR: Meeting List
§ Joint City/County/USD 497 study session scheduled for Monday, April 16 has been cancelled.
§ Begin the April 17, 2007 meeting at 5:00 p.m. to discuss water and wastewater capital improvement projects.
§ Requests for study sessions with Douglas County on several items, and the Chamber of Commerce on economic development issues.
§ Review proposed budget calendar, including a study session on infrastructure items
GOALS: Goals Document
I. CURRENT VACANCIES – BOARDS/COMMISSIONS:
Listed below are existing and upcoming vacancies on City of Lawrence Boards and Commissions. If interested in serving on a board, citizens should visit the website at http://www.lawrenceks.org/boards.shtml to volunteer online, or send a letter of interest to the Mayor, P.O. Box 708, Lawrence, KS 66044.
Two (2) positions, held by Doug Dillon and Kenneth Breithaupt, will expire 04/30/07. Both are eligible for reappointment to additional terms.
One (1) vacancy for the position held by Ron Desch, which expired 07/01/06. This position is required to be held by someone in the hotel industry.
One (1) vacancy for the position held by Sandra Shaw, which expires 06/30/08.
One (1) vacancy for the un-expired position held by Loralee Stevens (Target Neighborhood) that expires 12/31/07.
One (1) vacancy for an un-expired position that expires 03/01/09. One (1) position, held by Sven Alstrom expiree 03/01/07. Mr. Alstrom is eligible for reappointment to an additional term.
One (1) vacancy for the un-expired position held by Frank Day that will expire 12/31/08. One (1) vacancy for the un-expired position held by Bob Lewis that will expire 12/31/07.
One (1) position, held by Kathleen Morgan, will expire 04/30/07. Ms. Morgan is eligible for reappointment to an additional term. One (1) position, held by Mary Burchill, will expire 04/30/07. Ms. Burchill has served two consecutive terms and is not eligible for reappointment to an additional term.
One (1) vacancy for the un-expired position held by Karen Swisher that will expire 12/31/07.
One (1) position, held by Tammy Davis, expires 04/30/07. Ms. Davis has served two consecutive terms and is not eligible for reappointment to an additional term.